Sometimes you just want some soup. Maybe it’s cold outside, or maybe you’ve just had a crappy week and you’re looking for a hug from a big bowl of warm comforting broth.
Let me suggest this soup as a nice alternative to the usual tomato or chicken noodle.
To be honest, I’m a little ashamed even calling this something akin to Italian Wedding, because I’m pretty darn certain that it would make any real Italian cry tears for the comparison. However, I think it is delicious in and of itself, and easy to make to boot.
Seriously, you can have this on the table in under an hour, so it is perfect for a busy weeknight.
Lemony Kinda Sorta Italian Wedding SoupServings: 6
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- ½ c italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- ½ tbsp italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ c diced onion
- 1 c carrot coins
- 8 c chicken stock
- ⅔ c dry white wine
- ⅓ c lemon juice
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 16 oz gnocchi (we use the pre-packaged kind)
- 5 oz chard, arugula, kale, or spinach
- Mix chicken, mayonnaise, breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper until just combined, and shape into golfball-sized balls.
- Sautee meatballs in a small bit of vegetable oil until they have a nice brown crust. Set aside.
- In the meantime, sautee the diced onions in a stockpot until translucent. Deglaze the pan with ⅓ cup wine.
- Add chicken stock and carrot coins and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add in the gnocchi and meatballs and cook until the gnocchi has cooked throughout.
- While the gnocchi is cooking, add the remaining wine, red pepper flakes, and lemon juice.
- Stir in the chard, arugula or spinach and cook for another two minutes or so. You want it to still have some body when you serve it.